Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Day 2: Peace and Joy (rather long post)

Romans 5:1-11

Peace is an amazing thing. But in this passage it's not talking about anti-war or world peace. It's talking about being at peace with God. We have peace with God because we were justified by Jesus Christ through faith.

It talks about rejoicing in the hope of the glory of God, but it also talks about rejoicing in our suffering. Now why would we rejoice while suffering? Well, verse 3 goes on to say "Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perserverance; 4 perserverance, character; and character, hope."

Notice how the verse says "produces"? When you plant a fruit tree, it produces fruit. Naturally. That's just what comes from it. So the same with suffering. If you are at peace with God, then your suffering is going to produce perserverance. Just like the fruits of the spirit, except perserverance isn't one of them. It's a good thing nonetheless.

God reveals His love in Christ. Romans 5:8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Isn't that amazing? That is what we can truely be joyful about. Peace and joy... they kind of go hand in hand.

Here's another thing from The Breakdown at Spring Valley Bible Church:
J.O.Y.
Jesus. Others. Yourself. (In that order)
1 2 3

If you go about your life this way (putting Jesus first, others second, and yourself last) you will have all the joy anyone could ever hope for.




I love this devotional, and I also love blogging about it. It makes it stick. I understand it more when I write (or type) about it.
So, I've been presented with a possible opportunity. I say possible because it's not a for-sure yet. It would call for me to move away from Redding... again. But I can rationally and honestly say that this time, moving would not be a bad idea. I have been telling myself for months and months that the next time I move, it's going to be to Portland. No questions asked. But I've decided to just give my hopes of Portland to God. Maybe that's just not where God wants me right now... or ever. At first I was very iffy and nervous about this possibility of moving and it not being to Portland, but I've come to really like the idea. So, I'm trusting God with this one. Letting Him make the decision.
Maybe it will be the best thing I've ever done. Maybe it will just be a learning experience. I don't know. But whatever God has for me, I'm excited.

No comments: